30 Sept 2011

Tomato Jam


Tomato jam. When I saw the recipe I was intrigued. It promised to be a jam but with all the Indian spices involved I was convinced that it would be more chutney – like. I tried it out though. I was looking for a spread I could eat with a slice of toast before heading for work each morning and this completely fits the bill. Its thick and tangy but not so jammy that it has only sugar. Its sweet and salty with the perfect dose of spices. 




The best part about this jam is its versatility. I eat it with toast in the morning but I can see myself eating it like a pickle within a sandwich that has cheese and lots of veggies. I can also use it like a chutney with tandoori roti (flat Indian bread).

I put in a bit more of the spices than asked for and the flavor was evident though not powerful. But the best part were the tomato seeds that got roasted while the jam simmered. The white bits made the jam look so good. Go ahead and try it!


Tomato Jam
Adapted from The Wednesday Chef via Mark Bittman
Makes 1 small jar

Ingredients:

350 grams ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
3/4 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or cayenne 
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes (according to the recipe) or ½ hour (for me). Taste and adjust seasoning, then pour into hot, sterilized jam jars, screw the lids on and turn the jars upside down to cool completely.






4 comments:

  1. Radhika, I agree I would have thought chutney because of the ingredients and the photos. Look very tasty... Catchy title, I never heard of Tomato Jam. Well, you know, there is much controversy over the tomato being a fruit or a vegetable but the recipe uses it in both way. Thanks for the post and recipe :) Can't wait to try this. Bahut accha!

    Kavi_Kris
    http://wondrouskavikris88.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it comes out for you! Maybe it will have a jammier texture:-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful photos- oh my word. I'm a little obsessed with tomato jam- on a bacon and egg roll for brunch, it's a little bit of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Tori! I have been eating it straight out of the jar ever since i made it!

    ReplyDelete