10 Jan 2012

Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar


Somehow, whenever the strawberry season arrives (that, in India, is winter) I feel a sense of growing excitement. It usually starts around November when roadside hawkers lug around boxes of half ripe, tasteless strawberries and culminates at the end of December – early January, when they are at their best – ripe and bright red. I remember them being the height of luxury in fruits and being a rare treat during my childhood. It is seldom that you get sweet luscious strawberries in India even now.



I prefer strawberries in simple desserts. For instance, strawberries and ice cream or strawberries and whipped cream are my favorites. In fact, one of my favorite memories from Bangalore is going to Corner House or The Edge for strawberries and cream at night with a whole gang from the PG where I stayed. None of the strawberries in a rich chocolate cake for me please.



This dessert is one of the fanciest sounding ones and definitely the easiest. The balsamic vinegar and black pepper intensifies the flavor of the strawberries and I for one love this cold dessert even in the middle of winter. 

Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar and Black Pepper

Ingredients
200 gms fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
A pinch of ground black pepper

Method
Slice the strawberries in half. Combine strawberries, sugar, vinegar and pepper in a large bowl. Chill for a few hours or overnight before serving. 

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about strawberry season, which is sadly a long way off around here. Your photos are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely making this on Saturday. Daddy is out of town, its time for Mum and me to experiment with food (simply because my father likes simple indian khana AND he's diabetic, so strict diet)
    So far we've made seafood paella, gazpacho, moong dal ka halwa(which we had to hide from my father) and next on the plates (pun intended) is thai red curry chicken (figured out substitutes for those ingredients, btw, Radhika)your strawberries with balsamic vinegar, bitter lemon cheesecake, herb roasted chicken, galouti kebabs, and biryani.
    BTW - Where would I get balsamic vinegar. Not at Spencers,I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually you WILL find it at spencers :-). And i want some of that bitter lemon cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. , showcasing the terroir of the orchard. These ciders are typically fermented with wild yeast and undergo a slow, natural fermentation process, resulting in a complex flavor profile. keto acv gummies

    ReplyDelete